- You will have to stop doing some successful things to make room for the new. What will you give up?
- Identify and deal with managers who are undermining innovation and growth.
- No sacred cows; allow employees and library users to challenge long term policies.
- Find reasons to say yes to new ideas, even if it is out of your comfort zone.
- Assign everyone to hunt new ideas online; look at other states’ library conferences for local cool ideas.
- Invite innovative directors and staff from neighboring libraries to speak about how they did it – brown bags and webinars.
- Invite local leaders who are innovators (business, arts, academia) to speak to staff and community – brown bags and webinars.
- Be prepared to act on ideas staff members bring back from conferences and workshops.
- Make part of your budget for R and D, no matter how small.
- Create a micro-grant program to fund staff ideas.
Mid-America Library Alliance
15624 E. US Highway 24
Independence, MO 64050
Toll Free: 1-877-600-9699