Fill out the Service Improvement Grant Application to request funds for purposes as described in the Guidelines below.
Fill out the Service Improvement Grant Report after you have made your purchases to report your grant expenditures to NCKLS.
Legally established public libraries in taxing counties are encouraged to apply for a Service Improvements Grant. Libraries may use these to meet the state standards for marketing, community outreach, services or facility improvements.
These grants are for one-time projects, designed to kick-start the library’s ability to meet standards in areas such as hours of service, the development of a written plan for service, programming, AV equipment, facility improvement, furnishings or other community activity/service that make the library a welcoming community center. Each library is required to submit an application for the grant. NCKLS will pay 75% of the costs, up to a cap of $1,000. Libraries are responsible for any remaining costs.
The Executive Board will award Service Improvement Grants at its bi-monthly meetings.
Public libraries in taxing counties of the NCKLS area are eligible for the Service Improvement Grant and must meet the following requirements.
The library must be a legally established public library that operates under appropriate statutory regulations including:
- The treasurer of the board is bonded as required by K.S.A 12-1226.
- The board consists of the appropriate number of board members as specified in K.S.A. 12-2222 with terms according to the specifications in K.S.A. 12-2222.
- The library agrees to meet Kansas Administrative Regulation 54.1.8, to provide library service to any citizen of the territory comprising the system in the same manner that service is open to a local resident.
- The library will comply with the terms of the Kansas Open Records Act and the Kansas Open Meetings Act.
- The library will adhere to Kansas law, bylaws, board governance, open meetings, and insurance.
Application and reporting requirements
- Libraries must use the online Service Improvement form located on the NCKLS website. Requests made by phone, letter or other format will not be considered.
- In addition to completing the grant form, supporting documentation with the cost of the project, items or service is required. Supporting documentation may include a quote, catalog information, payroll projections, etc. This information may be submitted with the grant application, emailed, faxed or mailed to Carol Barta, firstname.lastname@example.org, 785-776-1545, 629 Poyntz Ave, Manhattan KS 66502. The grant application is not complete until cost/pricing information is received.
- When the grant application and pricing information are received at the NCKLS office, two copies of a letter of agreement will be mailed to the requesting library for the signature of the board president. Both copies should be mailed back to NCKLS.
- The Executive Committee reviews each application and letter of request at the bi-monthly meetings. The application, supporting documentation and the letter of agreement must be received for the committee’s consideration. TheExecutive Committee schedule may be found HERE.
- Grant recipients are required to report service improvement grant expenditures to NCKLS by December 15, of the application year and to supply supporting documentation, including paid invoices. Unspent funds must be returned to NCKLS.