Continuing education and training are vital to our member libraries and are a key piece of the Kansas Public Library Standards for 2020-2024. The standards advocate that the library board “participates in at least one continuing education activity annually.” (Kansas Public Library Standards 2020-2024, p. 5). The standards also indicate that “Library personnel pursue on ongoing program of continuing education activities, including technology training.” (Kansas Public Library Standards 2020-2024, p. 9).
Annually, we provide financial support for system library staff and trustees to take advantage of the wide variety of educational programs available both in-person and online. Examples of supported conferences include the Kansas Library Association Conference and the Association of Rural & Small Libraries Conference. In addition, there are numerous online opportunities that extend our ability to offer continuing education opportunities, such as content offered by the Mid-America Library Alliance, all the major library associations and so much more that applies to the dynamic world of public libraries. Funding may be available for specialized CE events or trainings for several library staff from one institution. Contact Assistant Director, Dawn Krause, for more information on covering special CE events.
- Submit a complete application that clearly describes the impact and benefit of the event or course on your job/library/community.
- After the event, complete a CE report within 3 weeks that outlines your learning and key takeaways.
- Submit your application in time to get early bird registration rates, preferably at least 4 weeks in advance of the event.
- Will award up to two grants for event registrations per library up to a combined maximum of $500 per year.
- Must be staff or a trustee of a member library.
Applications will be funded based on:
- Relevance of the event to applicant’s work.
- Relative level of support from applicant’s library.
- Availability of funds.
- Willingness of applicant to share what they learned from the event with other member libraries.
Complete the Continuing Education Grant Report within 3 weeks of the funded event to report your grant outcomes.