Service Improvement Grant
Fill out the Service Improvement Grant Application to request funds for purposes as described in the Guidelines below.
Legally established public libraries in taxing counties are encouraged to apply for a Service Improvements Grant. Libraries may use these to meet the state standards for marketing, community outreach, services or facility improvements.
These grants are for one-time projects, designed to kick-start the library’s ability to meet standards in areas such as hours of service, the development of a written plan for service, programming, AV equipment, facility improvement, furnishings or other community activity/service that make the library a welcoming community center. Each library is required to submit an application for the grant. NCKLS will pay 100% of the costs up to $1,000. Libraries are responsible for any remaining costs.
Public libraries in taxing counties of the NCKLS area are eligible for the Service Improvement Grant and must meet the following requirements.
The library must be a legally established public library that operates under appropriate statutory regulations including:
- The treasurer of the board is bonded as required by K.S.A 12-1226.
- The board consists of the appropriate number of board members as specified in K.S.A. 12-2222 with terms according to the specifications in K.S.A. 12-2222.
- The library agrees to meet Kansas Administrative Regulation 54.1.8, to provide library service to any citizen of the territory comprising the system in the same manner that service is open to a local resident.
- The library will comply with the terms of the Kansas Open Records Act and the Kansas Open Meetings Act.
- The library will adhere to Kansas law, bylaws, board governance, open meetings, and insurance.
Application and reporting requirements
- Libraries must use the online Service Improvement Grant application form here. Requests made by phone, letter or other format will not be considered.
- All libraries that apply must have a complete annual grant agreement on file with the system that is signed by the Library Director and the Board President.
- Please provide supporting documentation with the cost of the project, items or service you intend to purchase with the grant funds. Supporting documentation may include a quote, pricing from online resources or other retailers, payroll projections, etc. The grant application is not complete until cost/pricing information is received. Supporting documentation may be scanned/emailed, faxed or mailed to the NCKLS office.
- All grantees must completed an annual report that includes information about the impact of the Service Improvement Grant on your community by February 1st.
- Applications accepted until November 15th.